Loung Ung, Author/ Activist, Fall Newsletter


First They Killed My Father selected as a 2009 "Outstanding Book for College Bound" by American Library Association. A Teacher Guide, produced by Collin College, to accompany FTCMF is available upon request.

Schools that have chosen Lucky Child or FTKMF for community reads include:
American University
Fairfield University
Collin College
Oklahoma University
Saint Michael's College
Suffield Academy

"There can be absolutely no question about the innate power of [Ung's] story, the passion with which she tells it, or its enduring importance." - Washington Post Book World

For updated information and postings on Cambodia www.loungung.com

Photo Credits:
Phnom Penh Post
Cleveland Public Library

Loung Ung: Author, Lecturer, Activist November 2009 Newsletter


Loung returns to Cambodia
Last February, I sat in the courtroom, mere feet from the accused (a guy by the name of Duch, who was the director of S-21, a torture center now turned ito Cambodia Genocide Museum. Duch was responsible for the deaths of over 14,000 people). I walked into the courtroom with many emotions, and the fear that no one cares nor believed us.

I looked around at the full courtroom, heartened to see the tremendous turn out of both local and international journalists, and the cambodian public. Behind me, twenty monks in bright saffron robes sat; their faces quiet as if in a trance of peaceful meditation. Near them, a group of twenty-nine university students in uniforms read the tribunal information packages. I asked them if they believed what they heard.

"Not at first," Rachna, an 18 year-old math student replied. "the stories were too horrible. But then, I kept reading the stories in the papers, hearing it on radios, and seeing it on television news." She paused, looked at me. Then she said, "All these people are telling the same horrific stories of what happened to them and their families. I thought to myself - it's not possible that all of them could be lying. So I now believe." To borrow an expression from Ms. Oprah, I had my "aha" moment then.

In a few days, I will return to Cambodia, my thirtieth plus trip back. I will again sit in the courtroom to witness the tribunal, and visit family and friends. I will also visit Khien Khleang Rebabilitation Center (a program of Veterans International-Cambodia), a charitable program I've been involved in since 1997. I'm so thrilled that our program, which started as a non profit organization, today has assisted over 16,000 Cambodians to walk, farm, work, and have mobility.
For more information on KR tribunal -- Newshour with Jim Lehrer Khmer Rouge Torture Chief Apologizes During Tribunal with Ray Suarez and guest Loung Ung and Gregory Stanton.

Loung Ung selected for NACA Showcase

National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2010. Loung Ung is honored to share this experience as a speaker at the “Lecture Showcase”. For more information on Lecture Series by Loung Ung, contact info@loungung.com


PEPY to Cycle in Cambodia to support rural school programs.

Loung Ung Joins PEPY to Cycle in Cambodia in December of 2009. PEPY Tours combine adventure travel with hands-on volunteer project.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.